Thursday, February 9, 2012

PPL Theory exam done and dusted!

After starting my flight training 2 years ago, I have finally completed my PPL theory exam! 77% a little close for comfort but still over the magic 70%! I can't explain what a relief it is to have this out of he way and get started on the CPL theory exams.

The exam was pretty straight forward and there are some tips that I have had from reading others experiences that I found invaluable in preparing for this exam as well as some I figured out before, during and after.

STUDY

I found it really useful to read the material, take my own notes and do the exercises. Then re read over my own notes. I have posted some of my notes and will continue to do so.

Buy the DAY VFR Workbook, this is the actual workbook used in the exam, it only costs around $15 and is good to be familiar with it.

After starting my study with The Aviation Theory Center Books, I have now switched to Bob Tait, I find his style more of an interactive classroom style as opposed to a thick textbook. That said, the ATC books are very thorough!

PRACTICE EXAMS

DO PRACTICE EXAMS! I used the CASA sample questions, ATC Practice Exams, Dyson Holland Sample Exams, as well as all of the review sections in the Bob Tait PPL Day VFR Book. Some of these questions were on the exam word for word!

Practice under exam conditions, some of the sample exams are over 120 questions long, i may be a rush to complete them in the 3.5hr time limit but is well worth it. When it comes to do the CASA Cyberexam, mine was only 54 questions and I completed it in 2 hours, which allows plenty of time for checking your work!

WHAT TO BRING

Visual Flight Rules Guide (VFG), AIPs, ERSA, Protractor, Flight Computer, Protractor, Pencils, Pencil Sharpener, Eraser, Non Programmable Calculator, and don't forget to bring a bottle of water and even something to eat! 3.5 hours is a long time, make sure are fed and watered before going in! A coffee or two helps as well if you are that way inclined!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment