Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Night Circuits on Glass & PAPI

My flying club runs regular Night Circuit sessions during the winter months when the days are shorter and the instructors don't have to stay out all night. I recently participated in one of these nights, as this is an area I have long been interested in, but a little shy of to be honest.
The session works with one instructor and 3 students/participants, each taking 3 circuits before pulling over and rotating.
After turning up and paying my dues, I met my instructor who I have not flown with before, Olivia, who was very professional.  To my excitement I was told we were heading out in one of the club's newest warriors with an all glass, Avidyne Entegra cockpit!
After a very quick briefing on using the PFD and MFD, adjusting the heading bug, QNH and changing between displays, and PAPI (Precision Approach Path Indicator) we were off into the night!
We couldn't have hoped for a clearer night, the view was incredible, and there was a different sense of calm flying on a clear night. I must say landing on 29C with the PAPI guiding you in is definitely something I can get used to! Here's some pics of the night:
 Coming to land on final for 29C you can make out the runway ahead.
 Entegra MFD on map mode
 Pre flight run down on the glass, waiting for the screens to load.
 Gorgeous view on such a clear night!

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment