Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Changing flight instructors

At the completion of my PPL I asked my instructor if he could give me a copy of the flying syllabus for the rest of my cpl stage of training, so I could budget for the dual time. He told me that there isn't really one and you just need to get more precise and that's about it, that sounded vague to me so I read through the day VFR syllabus and saw the real criteria to work on. Again I asked my instructor, how many dual navs do we need to do together, I understand it competency based, but just to give me an idea. The answer is approximately 4, ok great, so I'm going away on a 30 hour flying trip through central and southern Australia, hat are the things I need to be practicing whilst on the trip so that I make the most of it?
Ahh just practice holding altitude and heading as well as your one in sixty. This just did not seem right at all, surely there was more structure to this.

As with any pilot, it is my dream, and my passion, and I read, watch videos, listen to podcasts and talk with other people in aviation constantly. Exploring the wonderful world of aviation, but also to continue to learn and be safer and more proficient. I began to talk to other pilots about this feeling I have that my training is sub standard. The response was a resounding yes, and that I should switch instructors immediately. I am a customer of a transaction and if I am not getting the product I want or expect, why should I continue to pay for it?
I hear a lot in the community about casual instructors being lax and building hours, not really interested in teaching, and upon initially meeting my instructor I asked what his direction was, he said he was too old to join the airlines and was happy to just be an instructor, ok that sounded like he was interested in instructing. There were moments on my ppl navs when I thought, is this guy just coming for a ride or what?
The sad reality is that now, I believe he was.
I have since spoken to a friend of mine hat was chief pilot at a school that has since closed, he has shown me the training syllabus that he wrote for his ops manual and helped me source another instructor, that he had trained and worked for him.
At some level, I don't want to create an uncomfortable tension in my flying club by changing instructors, and that has I think stopped me from acting on this sooner. This is far too important whether as a commercial or private pilot, as apart from the financial risk of over paying for shoddy training, there is the ever present risk of your own life, and the lives of your passengers.
It is simply not worth settling because you don't want to rock the boat, or upset anyone.
I know that I am not alone in this situation and I wanted to write this in the hope that if any other student does read this, and finds themselves in this situation, talk to the instructor and if you can't sort it out then change, and interview them.
Thanks for reading, I know this was a soapbox moment, but one I thought necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Good move, to not be able to define a syllabus or recommend what you need to work on shows definite signs of sloppyness! Are you staying with the same school, just a different instructor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! I'm staying with the school to finish off the CPL in Jan, but with a different instructor my AusCAP chief pilot recommended. He has already emailed the syllabus and given me list of items to work on, amazing. I'll have 3 GPS's in the aircraft and an a/p but I plan on hand flying the majority of the trip. I doubt I will be doing MECIR with them, I have been in contact with a couple of the other operators, that you suggested.

    ReplyDelete